The following words
are provided for readers or carers who want a ready-made story
rather than to make up their own.
1. Janet was walking in the park.
2. Janet looked around. She felt
3. Janet saw a woman with a baby and a
4. Janet wanted to hug the baby. The
mother held her baby tight. She did not want Janet to hold her
5. The woman was cross with Janet, “Go
away,” she shouted. “Strangers don’t touch babies.” Janet felt
upset and empty.
6. Janet walked on. She saw some
children playing. She liked playing with children.
7. Janet tried to play with the
children. They were scared of her.
8. The children shouted names at her.
They ran away. Janet didn’t understand.
9. Janet walked on. She saw a couple
kissing. She felt warm inside. “Me too” ….she thought!
10. Janet tried to hug them. The man and woman
11. The couple shouted rude things at Janet.
They walked away. Janet wondered why they were so angry.
12. Janet walked on. She felt upset and
13. Janet went home. She was trying not to
cry. She thought “Nobody wants to hug me”!
14. Indoors it was private. Janet let herself
15. Janet remembered her friend, Monica. She
decided to ring Monica.
16. “Hello, Monica. This is Janet. Nobody
likes me, and I’m all alone.”
17. There was a knock at the door. Janet
wondered if it was Monica.
18. Monica came in. Janet felt sad and
19. Monica asked “What’s the matter?” Janet
found it hard to say at first. Monica waited. She comforted her
20. Janet told Monica all about the people in
21. Monica and Janet had a big hug. Monica
said “It’s OK to hug good friends when we both want to. But it goes
all wrong if we touch strangers.”
22. Monica said “Let’s go out. We’ll try and
do it better.”
23. Monica said “Here’s a friend of mine. When
we meet someone new, we smile and say hello.”
24. “We might shake hands, and say our names.
This is my friend, Barbara” said Monica. “Hello, I’m Janet”, said
25. Janet, Monica and Barbara went for a
drink. Janet asked Barbara about herself. Barbara said she works in
a shop. She told Janet she has a boyfriend called Harry.
26. Harry came to join them. He kissed Barbara
on the cheek. Janet felt a bit left out.
27. Janet shook hands with Harry. She said
“Hello, I’m Janet”. That was OK.
28. Barbara and Harry had a dance. Janet
wanted to dance too.
29. Harry asked Janet for a dance. She enjoyed
it very much.
30. Janet’s new friends walked home with her.
“Nice to meet you”, they said and they shook hands with her.
31. “Thank you, Monica,” said Janet. “I had a
lovely time - it was much better - nobody is angry now”.
32. “Goodnight” said everyone. “See you”.
33. Janet had a hot drink. She thought about
what she had learnt about hugging and touching.