About Journal Online-versions
There are online-versions of
three Royal College of Psychiatrists' journals (The
British Journal of Psychiatry, The
Psychiatrist and Advances in Psychiatric
Treatment). The online-versions of the journals contain the
same text content but have the additional benefit of a considerable
number of features to improve the ease and speed with which content
can be accessed and searched (see below).
Evidence-Based Mental Health
journal is hosted on the same platform (by HighWire) as the College
journals so whilst its online-version may look slightly different,
many of the search functions and other online features are the
Key Online Features
- RSS Feeds for current and recent
issues - includes citation and abstract information.
- 'eTOCs' - new issues' tables of
contents, and/or future issues' contents, sent to you by
- 'CiteTrack' alerts you by email you
when new papers mention subjects you are interested in (citation
alert whenever new content is published on the online journal or a
participating journal that matches criteria based on the topics,
authors and articles you want to track).
- Download abstracts and contents
lists to your PDA/handheld computer.
- Instant 'offprints' by downloading
articles in printable PDF format.
Searches are aided
- Extensive search facilities: search
by author, keyword, citation, or full text.
- Quick search option.
- Search across multiple journals
(including over 1100 HighWire platform journals) with options
to limit searches to review articles, condense results, branded
results, keywords in context, and an indicator of which content is
free or available by pay-per-view.
Subscribers to an online
journal will be able to access the following:
- 'E-letters' sections allow you
to rapidly submit a response to articles.
- Some additional online-only content
and data supplements.
- Fully linked references, including
Medline abstracts and full text via CrossRef.
- Access to full text of all
- MEDLINE included in the quick search
options (BJPsych only).
on features of the journal online-versions
Activating Online Access
In order to gain access to the full
text of the journal online-versions subscribers must "activate"
How to activate your
Access-controlled content (under 1
year old) can also be obtained by "pay per view". The cost of this
- US $15 per article (access for 24 hours).
- US $45 per issue (access for 365 days).
- US $25 for a 24 hour site licence (per journal).