About Us

We work to secure the best outcomes for people with mental illness, learning difficulties and developmental disorders by promoting excellent mental health services, training outstanding psychiatrists, promoting quality and research, setting standards and being the voice of psychiatry.

President Dr Adrian James

Our values and behaviours

Our values and behaviours underpin everything we do.

Read more

A Message from HRH The Prince of Wales to the Royal College of Psychiatrists

May 13, 2020, 11:40 AM by RCPsych Press Office
The College has received a letter of support from its Patron, HRH The Prince of Wales, expressing his sympathy during this "unprecedented period of difficulty, disruption and intense anxiety".

The College has received a letter of support from its Patron, HRH The Prince of Wales, expressing his sympathy during this "unprecedented period of difficulty, disruption and intense anxiety".

The letter reads:

To everyone at the Royal College of Psychiatrists, 
As we all face an unprecedented period of difficulty, disruption and intense anxiety caused by the current coronavirus crisis, I particularly wanted to write and say how much I am thinking of everyone involved with the Royal College of Psychiatrists as you struggle to deal with the huge challenges that have arisen in your lives, your livelihoods and in the continuation of your organisation. 
As your Patron, I have nothing but the greatest sympathy for the predicament you face and the many difficult decisions and circumstances that have to be managed. Above all, I am certain you will be doing your utmost to maintain the essential elements of the care and service you provide to so many vulnerable people who depend on you, and of which I am so immensely proud as your Patron. I want you to know, therefore, that I can well imagine the appalling pressures you have suddenly and unexpectedly been put under and that my heart goes out to you and your families during the coming weeks and months of hideous uncertainty. 
Charles

This article was included in COVID-19 update – April 2020.

Get in contact to receive further information regarding a career in psychiatry