We are collaborating with the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) to appoint forty Psychiatry Foundation Fellowship (PFF) Programmes across England.
These new two-year Fellowships will last for the duration of the foundation programme (FP). It will provide an unrivalled opportunity for medical students commencing foundation training in August 2020. In return, we will support you in your interest in
mental health during one of the most challenging times of your career.
What are the benefits?
The PFF aims to improve exposure to psychiatry for foundation trainees. Trainees will access funded weekly psychiatric supervision and be able to attend reflective Balint groups. You will also be assigned a psychiatry supervisor, who will deliver weekly psychiatric supervision which will run on a longitudinal basis throughout the two-year foundation programme.
In addition to this, the College will award benefits worth up to £3000 over two years, providing access to:
- Mentoring - You will be assigned a mentor to give you advice and support over the next two years.
- International Congress - You will be given free registration to attend our International Congress each year over the two years. This includes a formal dinner with College Officers, Faculty members, mentors and other Fellows and bursary holders. A contribution towards accommodation and travel will be given.
- College events - You will be invited to special events to meet senior College Officers and Members.
- Psychiatry related activities - Opportunity to apply for other relevant events and activities with a travel and CPD fund.
- CPD Online - You will be given access to the Royal College of Psychiatrists' eLearning site CPD Online. Over 200 modules and more than 100 podcasts to keep you up to date with new research and best practice psychiatry.
- TrOn - Trainees Online is our online learning resource to support trainee psychiatrists prepare for MRCPsych exams.
- Journal subscriptions - You will be given print copies of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' journals: BJPsych Bulletin, BJPsych Advances, and The British Journal of Psychiatry.
How can I apply?
The application form for Psychiatry Fellowships will be available on Oriel.
Please be advised that you must submit an FP application before you will be able to apply for PFF.
The application form for PFF will be a condensed version of the FP application form. In addition, applicants will be required to upload an academic curriculum vitae (CV) and provide a supporting statement explaining why they would like to be considered
for a foundation fellowship in Psychiatry. Applicants will be required to input their referee details again as part of this process.
Applications must be submitted during the national application window for the foundation programme. Applications will be accepted from Monday 30 September 2019 at 09:00 (BST) until 12:00 noon (BST) on
Friday 11 October 2019.
Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
For full details on how to apply, the distribution of programmes, shortlisting, interviews and offers, please refer to the UKFP 2020 Psychiatry Foundation Fellowships handbook.
Applicants will be scored on the following areas:
- Academic excellence
- Demonstrable interest in mental health
Both areas will be scored from 1-5 (5 being scored where the most has been achieved).
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a 20-30 minute panel interview. The panel will include a senior representative from the College and the UK Foundation Programme.
Interviews will be held at The Royal College of Psychiatrists, 21 Prescot Street, London, E1 8BB on the following dates:
- Thursday 28 November 2019
- Friday 29 November 2019
- Monday 2 December 2019
- Tuesday 3 December 2019
- Wednesday 4 December 2019
Applicants will be invited to book interview slots on Oriel from Monday 28 – Thursday 31 October 2019 on a first-come-first-served basis.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, the distribution of programmes, shortlisting and offers, please contact the UKFPO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any queries regarding the interview process or the benefits provided by the College, please contact the College at email@example.com.