We're collaborating with the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) to appoint forty Psychiatry Foundation Fellowship (PFF) Programmes across England.
These new two-year Fellowships will last for the duration of the foundation programme (FP). It will provide an unrivalled opportunity for medical students commencing foundation training in August 2020. In return, we will support you in your interest in mental health during one of the most challenging times of your career.
For full details on the application process, the distribution of programmes, shortlisting, interviews and offers, please refer to the UKFP 2020 Psychiatry Foundation Fellowships handbook.
What are the benefits?
The PFF aims to improve exposure to psychiatry for foundation trainees. Trainees will access funded weekly psychiatric supervision and be able to attend reflective Balint groups. You will also be assigned a psychiatry supervisor, who will deliver weekly psychiatric supervision which will run on a longitudinal basis throughout the two-year foundation programme.
In addition to this, the College will award benefits worth up to £3000 over two years, providing access to:
- Mentoring - You will be assigned a mentor to give you advice and support over the next two years.
- International Congress - You will be given free registration to attend our International Congress each year over the two years. This includes a formal dinner with College Officers, Faculty members, mentors and other Fellows and bursary holders. A contribution towards accommodation and travel will be given.
- College events - You will be invited to special events to meet senior College Officers and Members.
- Psychiatry related activities - Opportunity to apply for other relevant events and activities with a travel and CPD fund.
- CPD Online - You will be given access to the Royal College of Psychiatrists' eLearning site CPD Online. Over 200 modules and more than 100 podcasts to keep you up to date with new research and best practice psychiatry.
- TrOn - Trainees Online is our online learning resource to support trainee psychiatrists prepare for MRCPsych exams.
- Journal subscriptions - You will be given print copies of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' journals: BJPsych Bulletin, BJPsych Advances, and The British Journal of Psychiatry.
How can I apply?
Applications for the Psychiatry Foundation Fellowships have now closed.
- Demonstrable interest in mental health and psychiatry as a career.
- Academic excellence, not limited to psychiatry related activities.
We strongly welcome applications from medical students from a widening participation background, or who have entered medical school through a Widening Access to Medicine scheme, as these groups have been traditionally underrepresented at this level.
We have had some queries about the Psychiatry Foundation Fellowships application process, which asks you to provide a supporting statement. This is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your interest in Psychiatry and any previous experience you have of mental health, perhaps as working as a volunteer or undertaking a placement in a mental health setting. You might have done an elective at Medical School or attended conferences or done some research.
We do not expect you to disclose any personal mental health issues you may have. You also have the opportunity to describe how you would be an ambassador for the specialty and the Royal College of Psychiatrists’.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a 20-30 minute panel interview. The panel will include a senior representative from the College and the UK Foundation Programme.
Interviews will be held at The Royal College of Psychiatrists, 21 Prescot Street, London, E1 8BB on the following dates:
- Wednesday 27 November 2019
- Thursday 28 November 2019
- Friday 29 November 2019
- Wednesday 4 December 2019
- Thursday 5 December 2019
Applicants will be invited to book interview slots on Oriel from Monday 28 – Thursday 31 October 2019 on a first-come-first-served basis.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, the distribution of programmes, shortlisting and offers, please contact the UKFPO at email@example.com.
If you have any queries regarding the interview process or the benefits provided by the College, please contact the College at firstname.lastname@example.org.