A one-day course suitable for anyone who already has Section 12(2) approval and requires a refresher. This course is not suitable for anyone seeking to renew their Approved Clinician status (of which s12 is included).
- An enhanced understanding of the criteria for detention under Part 2 of Mental Health Act 1983.
- An understanding of the legal guidance contained within the MHA Code of Practice relevant to the role and responsibilities of s12(2) doctors and other professionals when undertaking MHA assessments.
- An ability to identify the presence of mental disorder and the severity of mental disorder, and to determine whether the disorder is of a nature and/or degree which would warrant compulsory detention.
- An understanding of the interface between the Mental Capacity Act 2005 'v' MHA and other related legislation e.g. Human Rights Act 1998 Act and Children Acts.
- An understanding of current case law and its impact on practice.
- An understanding of the use of compulsory powers in regards to specific patient groups e.g. Children; Learning Disabilities, Older Persons and Mentally Disordered Offenders under Part 3 of the Act.
- An enhanced awareness of the impact of compulsory orders on service users and carers.
- An enhanced appreciation of the balance between risk management and a person's right to self-determination and liberty.
- An understanding of the legal requirements for completing statutory forms.