One day course
|Location||RCPsych, 21 Prescot Street|
|Speakers||Dr Margaret DeJong, Dr Azer Mohammed, Ruth Kirby, Sir Mark Hedley|
|CPD||up to 6 hours per day, subject to peer group approval|
Our Family Law module consists of two separate days of training provided jointly by lawyers and clinicians.
Day One (10th December 2019) will cover:
- Necessary knowledge of the Family Justice system including the structure and function of the Family Courts.
- Parenting assessment teaching will address the role of the adult psychiatrist as well as the child psychiatrist.
- The experiential component of Day One will focus on report writing.
The course is suitable for all psychiatrists who carry out assessments within the Family Courts.
- Dr Margaret De Jong
- Dr Azer Mohammed
- Ruth Kirby
Day Two launches in 2020 and builds on knowledge and skills learned on Day One, and will cover giving evidence and handling cross- examination, consisting of role play with barristers.
- The Family Justice System - structure and function
- The law pertaining to children
- Legal rules, practice direction and guidance
- Joint instruction of a single expert
- Considering necessary expertise for a case
- Medico-legal CV
- Negotiation over questions, time frame and fees
- Assessment of the child or adolescent
- Parenting assessment
- Role of the adult psychiatrist
Making Effective Recommendations
- Following on from comprehensive formulation and assessment of needs
- Type of placement and carer
- Contact with sibling, parents and others
- Trial for Change/Extended assessment/Timescale of the child
- Liaising with local teams to consider resource availability
- Local Authority/Education
- Structure and format
- Do’s and don’ts
- Legal guidance on experts’ reports
- Report Writing Workshop
- Supervision and support
- Multidisciplinary aspects
- Professional boundaries
Fees include catering during scheduled programme breaks but do not include accommodation.
*Standard Rate applies to RCPsych fellows/members/associates at the following grades Consultants/Locum Consultants, SAS/Associate Specialists, Retired or Reduced subscription rate of 50% or less and Non RCPsych members of any grade.
** The reduced fee is available to (RCPsych members/associates only) at the following grades Higher/Advanced/Core Trainees Pre-membership Psychiatric Trainees/Trainee Registration with the college and Medical Students, Foundation Year Doctors or Student Associates.
*** If you are a medical student or Foundation Year doctor and not registered as a student associate with the college, you can apply to be a student associate for free at the following link http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/discoverpsychiatry/studentassociates.aspx
The event will take place at the Royal College of Psychiatrists, 21 Prescot Street, London E18BB. You can view directions and a map to help you plan your journey.
The Citymapper website/app can help you plan your route within London, giving the best walking, cycling, bus and tube routes available. Use postcode E1 8BB as your destination.
You can book accommodation through our partner agency MICE Concierge.