Please see below the recommended pre-course reading for the course. We will refer to these resources throughout the course, so familiarity with their content will support/facilitate learning. The Mental Health Act Code of Practice and Reference Guide are useful resources for reference in your practice.
- Barkhuizen W, Cullen AE, Shetty H, et al. (2020) Community treatment orders and associations with readmission rates and duration of psychiatric hospital admission: a controlled electronic case register study. BMJ Open.
- Care Quality Commission (2020) Monitoring the Mental Health Act in 2018/19. CQC.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2016) Mental Health Act: Instructions with Respect to the Exercise of an Approval Function in Relation to Approved Clinicians 2015.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2020) Mental Health Act 1983: Supplementary instructions with respect to the exercise of an approval function in relation to Approved Clinicians 2020.
- Department of Health (2015a) Mental Health Act 1983: Code of Practice. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Department of Health (2015b) Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Wessely S (2018) Modernising the Mental Health Act: Increasing choice, reducing compulsion – Final report of the Independent Review of the Mental Health Act 1983. Department of Health and Social Care.
- Zigmond T, Brindle N (2016) A Clinician's Brief Guide to the Mental Health Act (Fourth Edition). RCPsych Publications.
Please contact S12ACtraining@rcpsych.ac.uk with any enquiries.