Please work your way through the pre-course reading before starting the course.
- Care Quality Commission (2020) Monitoring the Mental Health Act in 2018/19. CQC.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2016) Mental Health Act: Instructions with Respect to the Exercise of an Approval Function in Relation to Section 12 Doctors 2015.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2020) Mental Health Act 1983: Supplementary instructions with respect to the exercise of an approval function in relation to Section 12 doctors 2020.
- Department of Health (2015a) Mental Health Act 1983: Code of Practice. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Department of Health (2015b) Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Wessely S (2018) Modernising the Mental Health Act: Increasing choice, reducing compulsion – Final report of the Independent Review of the Mental Health Act 1983. Department of Health and Social Care.
- Zigmond T, Brindle N (2016) A Clinician's Brief Guide to the Mental Health Act (Fourth Edition). RCPsych Publications.
We also have the following video-based module on Trainees Online (TrOn) covering giving evidence at mental health tribunals which you may find useful, in addition to a recent CPD Online (CPDO) podcast covering the response of mental health tribunals to the COVID-19 emergency:
CPD Online (CPDO) Podcast: Mental Health Tribunals: response to the COVID-19 emergency. Royal College of Psychiatrists. [website]
Tribunals Judiciary, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust (2018) Mental health tribunals: giving evidence. Trainees Online (TrOn), Royal College of Psychiatrists. [website]
Please contact Isabel.Brinsden@rcpsych.ac.uk with any enquiries.