Since its inception in 2018, participating wards have had numerous success stories.
Wards have been testing over 300 change ideas since the Reducing Restrictive Practice Collaborative started and by February 2020 those ideas resulted in 24 out of 38 wards seeing reductions ranging from 25% to 100% in one or more measure of restrictive practice (number of physical restraints, seclusions and rapid tranquillisation episodes).
Over 18 months, there has been a 15% reduction in the overall use of restrictive practices among the 38 wards participating in the Reducing Restrictive Practice Collaborative.
The Reducing Restrictive Practice Collaborative in the media
- Use of 'restrictive practices' at mental health clinic in Sandwell fall - Thomas Parkes, Express & Star, 9 September 2020
- North East mental health unit dramatically cuts use of restraints, seclusion and tranquilisation - Katie Dickinson, Chronicle Live, 2 September 2020
- Mental health units scale back on physical restraint and tranquilisation - Matthew Earth, Ipswich Star, 2 September 2020
- Homerton mental health unit dramatically reduces use of restrictive practices - Holly Chant, Hackney Gazette, 2 September 2020
- Mental health unit reduces its restrictive practices - Basingstoke Observer, 3 September 2020
- Southampton mental health ward using less physical restraint - Emily Liddell, Southern Daily Echo, 7 September 2020
- Southampton's Stewart Ward for mental health praised after ‘dramatic’ decrease in physical restraint use – Emily Liddell, Southern Daily Echo, 23 September 2019
- Use of physical restraint drops at Calderstones Hospital ward – Ben Butler, Lancashire Telegraph, 23 September 2019
- Harsh restrictive practices reduced in Enfield mental health ward – Joseph Reaidi, This is Local London; Tottenham & Wood Green Independent; Hendon & Finchley, Barnet & Potters Bar, Edgware & Mill Hill Times, 21 September 2019
- Mental health units dramatically cut use of restrictive practices – Press release by the Royal College of Psychiatrists, Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust, 19 September 2019
- 'Staggering' results at Yorkshire mental health hospital where use of restraint cut by half – Robyn Vinter, The Yorkshire Post, 18 September 2019
- Desperate bank protestors, 'disappearing' cheap weddings, and coating food to save plastic (at 34 min) – You and Yours, BBC Radio 4, 18 September 2019
- Reducing restrictive practices – RCPsych Insight, p. 15, April 2019
- 'How my life turned around with new treatment' – Health, BBC News, 13 March 2019
- Self-Help for Children, Junk Food Experiment, Road Rage (at 24 min, 50 secs) – You and Yours, BBC Radio 4, 27 February 2019
- Psychiatric units promise to curb use of restraint – Greg Hurst, The Times, 11 January 2019