In the south west we're passionate about promoting careers in psychiatry, and raising the numbers of people who choose psychiatry as a specialism.
The College is campaigning at national level to promote a career in psychiatry to medical students, school and college students and Foundation doctors.
Our Choose Psychiatry section contains videos and information explaining
- how psychiatrists make a difference
- how to become a psychiatrist
- what a psychiatrist does in a normal day
and provide examples of inspirational psychiatrists who are working in unusual contexts.
Promoting psychiatry in the region
There are fantastic benefits to training and practising as a psychiatrist in the region, including:
- A passionate and involved community of psychiatrists, who support each other to innovate, undertake research and generally foster a fulfilling career
- Rich academic opportunities
- Active medical schools in Bristol, Exeter and Peninsula
- Successful training schemes, shown by the GMC's annual training survey results
- A great lifestyle offered by the combination of cities, countryside and coastal areas.
We have two Choose Psychiatry networks in the south west
- Severn in the north - led by Dr Helen Sharrard
- Peninsula in the south - led by Dr Elizabeth Adams
which are a collaboration of trainees, consultants, medical students and other interested parties.
They are designed to share knowledge and ideas for improving recruitment by targeting school and college students, medical students and Foundation Year doctors.
Please access the main College's Choose Psychiatry resources
Registering to join a network
Email us with your name, education/career stage and any other information you would like to provide.
How can I get in touch with my local recruitment contact?
Contact the South West Division office