Neuromodulation patient resource
Take a look at the College’s latest mental health information resource on neuromodulation.
This resource was produced with the support of the Public Engagement Editorial Board (PEEB) and covers:
- repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)
- transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)
- trigeminal nerve stimulation (TNS)
- vagus nerve stimulation (VNS).
The aim of neuromodulation is to help improve symptoms of mental illness by changing the activity in the brain. Our new patient and carer information resource looks at:
- what neuromodulation is
- how it works
- how effective the different treatments are
- which conditions the different treatments can be used to treat
- the evidence available for the effectiveness of each treatment
- what each treatment involves
- any side effects.
Take a look at this resource, and explore our other mental health information for patients and carers on our website.
Our information is split between problems and disorders, and support, care and treatment, and we also have information resources for young people and children.
Special thanks to the resource’s author Dr Derek Tracy and the Committee on ECT and Related Treatments who helped to review this resource.
Back to our September 2021 eNewsletter.