- Salary : Voluntary role
BJPsych Open Call for New Editorial Board Members
Would you like to take an active role in deciding the future direction of BJPsych Open and which submissions should be published in the journal? We are looking for Editorial Board members to join the BJPsych Open Editorial Board and specifically welcome applications from people with expertise in the following areas:
- Digital Mental Health
- Forensic psychiatry
- Women’s mental health
- Global Mental Health
- Systematic Reviews
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Responsibilities will include:
- Handling papers. The commitment will vary depending on whether the board member joins as an Associate or International Board member and this will be agreed with the Editor-in-Chief on appointment to the board. We generally expect International Board members to handle between 4-8 papers per year and Associate Editors handle 10-12 papers per year.
- Choosing appropriate reviewers for assigned papers, assessing reviewer comments and making decisions on papers
- Proactive handling of papers and checking progress in ScholarOne on a regular basis
- Reviewing papers for the journal on a regular basis (eg 4-6 per year)
- Contributing content such as original research, editorials, commentaries, ideas for commission topics, ideas for themed series and potential authors.
- Attending board meetings three times a year, either in person or remotely
- Acting as an ambassador for the journal
Providing input into strategy
With support from the board, Editorial Board members are occasionally asked to handle complex papers that address multimorbidities or papers outside their specific areas of expertise. Therefore, a willingness to handle these papers and a broad, general knowledge and understanding of psychiatry is also desirable.
We are aiming to find applicants who are most suited to the role and can strengthen the journal. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, including gender, age and ethnicity. We want an editorial board that reflects our values of equality and diversity with representation from a range of backgrounds. Therefore, we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented groups in academic psychiatry.
- Ability to work in a team
- Consultant or equivalent
- Higher degree or equivalent
- Record of peer-reviewing in mental health research
- Evidence for contributing editorial material to journals (such as commentaries or editorials)
- Author of at least 10 original research articles including some in high impact journals
- Record of reviewing for BJPsych Open
Record of journal editing in mental health
Applications and recommendations should be sent to Anna Munks, BJPsych Open Managing Editor at email@example.com and include a brief CV and cover letter.
- CV and cover letter circulated to Editor-in-Chief to confirm entry requirements are met and that there is a need for an Associate Editor in the applicant’s area of expertise
- Consultation with Deputy Editor team as required
- Editorial Board members are recruited for a term of 3 years, subject to annual review and an initial probation period of 6 months. Terms can be extended at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief.