Welcome to our curricula framework consultation!
In 2020, we provided the opportunity to feedback on our core and higher specialty curricula. We are now providing the opportunity to feedback on all key elements of our proposed curricula framework, due for implementation in August 2022.
The consultation will close on Friday 13th August 2021.
Why are we reviewing our curricula?
In response to the Shape of Training Review (2013), the GMC developed their Generic Professional Capabilities (GPC) Framework and Excellence By Design Standards for Postgraduate Medical Curricula (2017).
Our Curricula Framework
Our curricula framework is comprised of 4 key elements:
- Psychiatry 'Silver Guide' - this outlines all aspects of training in Psychiatry and aligns closely to COPMeD's 'Gold Guide', and outlines the assessment strategy.
- Core and Specialty Curricula - these outline the High Level Outcomes (HLOs) and Key Capabilities (KCs) that trainees are required to achieve by the end of the set progression point.
- Placement Specific Personal Development Plans (PDPs) - these link to the HLOs and KCs and are completed at the start of each placement within training, and outline key activities to be undertaken, linking into the Psychiatric Supervision and Educational Supervisor Reports, and the ARCP process.
- ARCP Decision Aids - These are guides to support ARCP panels, utilising ES and PS reports.
Watch our curricula framework videos
You can view more information about our framework and PDPs by watching the following recordings:
- "RCPsych Curricula Framework 2022" - Dr John Russell, RCPsych Associate Dean for Curricula
- "Setting up a Placement Specific Personal Development Plan" - Dr Mary Barrett, Chair, RCPsych Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability SAC, and Dr Ilyas Ali, Higher Trainee in Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability.
Once you have watched the videos, you are welcome to set up a mock PDP for Core Psychiatry using our blank template.
Feedback on our curricula framework!
We welcome feedback on the following components of our curricula framework:
- Psychiatry 'Silver Guide'
- Placement Specific Personal Development Plans (PDP) (example higher specialty template). Please note that the current template is set as a word document and will look different once on portfolio online. The example outlines the proposed functionality and purpose of the form.
- ARCP Decision Aid (Core Psychiatry Example)
In addition, our draft Core and Higher Specialty Curricula are outlined below if you wish to view:
- Core Psychiatry
- General (Adult) Psychiatry
- Old Age Psychiatry
- Psychiatry of Learning (Intellectual) Disability
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Medical Psychotherapy
Our draft sub-specialty curricula are outlined here:
- Liaison Psychiatry (sub-specialty)
- Rehabilitation Psychiatry (sub-specialty)
- Substance Misuse (Addiction) Psychiatry (sub-specialty)
Implementation plans and trainee transition
Please review our draft plan for trainee transition for more information about how and when the curricula changes will impact. If you have any queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us, or feedback as part of the consultation form.
Complete our Consultation Survey
Please complete our short survey on the new curricula. We value all feedback and all data will be anonymous.
You can also feedback to us at anytime by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org