Accessibility Page Navigation
Style sheets must be enabled to view this page as it was intended.
The Royal College of Psychiatrists Improving the lives of people with mental illness

Examinations FAQs

Also available: Examination myths explained.


Am I eligible?

Applying for an exam


Preparing for an exam

Taking the exam

Withdrawing from an exam



Am I eligible?

What are the requirements for entry to the Written Examinations and CASC?

See Am I eligible?


What kind of medical council registration do I need to enter any MRCPsych examination?

All doctors in the UK must be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) when applying for the MRCPsych Examinations. The College will verify that registration is valid with the GMC.

Overseas trainees must be registered with their national body. An original or attested copy of your current registration certificate must be included with an application to sit the examination.


I am an overseas candidate, can I take the MRCPsych exams?

Yes, trainees from any country in the world can sit the MRCPsych Examinations providing that they meet the eligibility requirements to sit the Examination.


If I previously sat old components of the MRCPsych exams (e.g. Paper 1) does this mean I am ineligible to restart the MRCPsych examinations - Paper A, Paper B and CASC?

No. Candidates can recommence the process by sitting the Paper A and B, introduced in 2015. On passing the written components you can sit the CASC. Some guidance:

  • If you hold a valid pass in Paper 1 or 2 but unable to complete the remaining components of the MRCPsych within the validity period you can rescind your passes and recommence the MRCPsych examinations - Paper A, Paper B and CASC.
  • If for example your validity period has expired and you can recommence the process by sitting the written components then the CASC.

A new 1643 day Written Paper Validity Period will commence starting from the date of publication of the results of the first paper passed.

If you have any questions about your eligibility please contact the Examinations Unit.

Back to top


Applying for an exam

Where can I find out a list of dates of examinations?

Please see the College Examinations Calendar.


How do I complete the online application for the Written Examinations or the CASC?

See Applying for an exam.


What is my candidate number?

Your candidate number is issued to you at your first sitting of any examination and remains the same throughout your examination period.

It is quoted in various documents, including your admission document and result letter.

Candidates are expected to refer to this documentation for their number before contacting the Examinations Unit.

If you are a new candidate (i.e. it is your first examination) you will not have a number.


Who can I nominate as my sponsor for the CASC?

Valid sponsors include College Tutors, Educational Supervisors, Director of Medical Education, Head of Department, Head of School, or if overseas someone responsible for your appraisal.

Please note that sponsorship is not required for the MRCPsych Written Exams.


When will I receive an acknowledgement of my application?

For the Written and CASC Examinations, candidates use an online application which generates an automated acknowledgement email.

If you have not received this email within 24 hours of submitting your application, please contact the Examinations Unit.


When will I receive my admission documents?

For the written examinations, these are emailed approximately 2 weeks before the date of the examination.

For the CASC examination, it is approximately 3 weeks before the exam.

If you have not received them by then you should promptly contact the Examinations Unit.


Back to top



How much are the fees for the exams?

See Exam fees.


Can I pay the application fees by credit/debit card?

Yes, we accept Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card.

The application form includes a section for entering your card details.


How do I request a receipt?

You will receive an automatic receipt from Netbanx on completion of your application.

If you require another receipt then please contact the Examinations Unit.


Back to top


Preparing for an exam

What reading material do you recommend as a study guide for the examination?

The College publishes several journals and a wide range of books on mental health. The Psychiatric Trainee Committee recommend books and resources for the exams.

The College recommends candidates also approach their College Tutor for information about the MRCPsych course.


Where can I find sample questions?

See our section Preparing for the exam.


Back to top


Taking the exam

Where can I sit the Written Examinations?

UK centres: London, Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh.

Overseas centres: Dublin, Hong Kong, Oman, India, Singapore, Malta.

Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.


Can I sit Papers A and B in any order?

Yes, the Written Papers can be taken in any order. However, it is recommended that you have 12 months experience in psychiatry before attempting Paper B.


What identification do I have to take with me to the exam?

For all exams you must bring official photo identification (ID). This can include: Passport, Driver’s Licence and Hospital ID only.

For the CASC, you must also bring two passport photos so photo cards can be produced and issued on the day of the examination.


Can I use a calculator during an exam?

You may use a basic calculator (non-scientific) during the MRCPsych Paper B exam. Calculators are not permitted for any of the other exams.


What if I need a visa to get to my examination centre?

If you need a visa, you will need to apply for the examination at the beginning of the application period and state clearly that you need a letter for your visa application. If a visa is not granted, it does not warrant an automatic refund as this is at the discretion of the Head of Examinations Operations.


Where is the UK CASC held?

The venue for the UK CASC is in Sheffield.


Back to top


Withdrawing from an exam

Can I transfer my fee or postpone to the next examination?

No. Candidates, who need to, should withdraw from the examination and request a refund. Please note that any request for a refund must be made no later than 30 days after the date of the examination. Please refer to the withdrawals section of the Eligibility Criteria and Regulations for MRCPsych Examinations.


I want to withdraw from the examination, what do I do?

Withdrawals must be made in writing to the Head of Examinations Operations stating the reasons for withdrawal. Please refer to the withdrawals section of the Eligibility Criteria and Regulations for MRCPsych Examinations.


Back to top



When will the results be published?

Dates for publication of results are published on the Examinations Calendar.


How do I get a replacement result letter?

Candidates should refrain from requesting replacement letters until the date specified on the pass list. After that, requests should be made to the Examinations Unit.


Is feedback available once I have sat the examination?

Feedback is available for both the Written Papers and the CASC examinations. It is provided with the result letter to all candidates for the Written Papers and only for those who have been unsuccessful in the CASC.


Can I get my overall ranking for my recent sitting?

No, this information is not provided.


How can I get my answer script re-marked, or appeal against the result?

See Re-marks and appeals.


Is the MRCPsych classified as a Bachelors/Masters or PhD?

Neither, the MRCPsych examination provides you with membership to the College which is a qualification for entry into higher training in psychiatry.


Back to top



My contact details have changed. What should I do?

If you wish to change your details, please log on to the website and update your details.


Can I claim tax back on my examinations?

Following a change in the tax case law, trainees who have sat the exams should be able to claim tax back. The College provides a letter of confirmation for rebate purposes.


Back to top



Login - Members Area

If you don't have an account please Click here to Register

Make a Donation

Related links

  • Exam dates

    To find out the examination dates see the 2018 and 2019 Examinations Calendar.