Editor in Chief:
Professor Kamaldeep Bhui, Professor of Psychiatry at Barts
& The London School of Medicine, Queen Mary, University of
Full Editorial Board
Psychiatrists, clinical psychologists and all other mental health
BJPsych Open is a high-quality, new, online-only
open access journal for the publication of all methodologically
sound research in psychiatry and disciplines related to mental
A welcome and significant addition to the
Royal College of Psychiatrists’ existing
family of journals, BJPsych Open maintains the highest
scientific, peer-review, and ethical standards of The British Journal of Psychiatry.
BJPsych Open provides a more flexible format, free from the
page limits and space restrictions of a printed journal, so it
benefits from being able to publish a wider range of article
The College is committed to high scientific
quality as well as public education and engagement and BJPsych
Open maximises dissemination and sharing of research, at no
cost to the reader.
- BJPsych Open was launched in June 2015, during the
College's 2015 International Congress.
- BJPsych Open will publish the most
exciting and progressive research in all fields of psychiatry and
- In due course, BJPsych Open will
publish themed issues to highlight more specialist areas of
practice and research from all around the world.
- Papers are published continuously all year
round, with online ‘issues’ assembled quarterly.
- Upon acceptance, authors will be charged a
one-time publication fee (APC) of £1250. This covers the costs of
publication and ensures your article will be freely available.
- There are reduced charges for authors
based in LAMI countries; for further details please email:
Regular features in BJPsych
Open may include:
- Opinion pieces (both analysis and debate)
- Original research papers
- Short reports
- Review articles (including narrative, systematic and realist
- Research protocols for commissioned research
- Policy and analysis of topical practice and research
- Case reports (impacting clinical practice)
- E-letters sections
Advantages to authors
BJPsych Open aims to make it easier
for you to publish your primary research and there are
various benefits of choosing to submit your
papers to this new journal:
- Rapid publication – 28
days from acceptance to online publication.
- Increased chance of publication
under the prestigious BJPsych brand – Without the
page constraints of a print journal, BJPsych Open can
publish all high-quality papers submitted.
- No colour image
- Efficient dissemination –
Research findings are shared widely, whilst maintaining the highest
standards of scientific peer review and publication ethics.
- Expeditive peer-review and
processing time – BJPsych Open has a dedicated
team of highly skilled editorial board members.
- Creative commons license
– Papers are published by default under a CC BY-NC-ND licence.
Other licence types (e.g. CC BY) can be chosen to suit funder
- Linked submissions system
– Papers submitted to the BJPsych can be passed on
directly to BJPsych Open without the need for
resubmission; any BJPsych reviews are passed along
Submitting a paper
Copyright and permissions