Today, the Royal College of Psychiatrists, along with the other members of the Mental Health Policy Group (MHPG), has sent a letter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, urging that the Chancellor protects mental health in the upcoming budget on Thursday 17 November.
In the letter we asked that the Chancellor:
- protects the Mental Health Investment Standard
- invests in preventative programmes, as well as voluntary, community and social enterprises (VCSE) and social care services
- ensures an effective and properly resourced 10-year Cross Government Plan for Mental Health and Wellbeing
- uprates benefit payments in line with inflation.
The Mental Health Policy Group is an informal coalition of six leading national organisations working together to improve mental health - comprised of the Centre for Mental Health, Mental Health Foundation, NHS Confederation Mental Health Network, Mind, Rethink Mental Illness, and the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
The letter was written alongside our partners at the Association of Mental Health Providers, the Children and Young People’s Mental Health Coalition and Young Minds.
For further information, please contact:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @rcpsych
- Out-of-hours contact number: 07860 755896