The Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych) Medical Training Initiative (MTI) is designed to enable a small number of International Psychiatry Graduates to enter the UK to experience training in the NHS for up to two years, before returning to their home country.
Under the scheme vacant CT3 posts are made available for overseas doctors who meet the eligibility criteria. NHS Trusts that would like to employ an MTI International Fellow can find out more in the "How do NHS Trusts apply?" section below.
The paid CT3 posts are approved by Deaneries/LETB as suitable for training. The RCPsych provides GMC Sponsorship and the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC) acts as the UK Sponsor to enable participants to apply for a Tier 5 visa with the UK Borders Agency.
Doctors applying to the MTI scheme must:
- hold a primary medical qualification recognised by the UK General Medical Council from an internationally accepted medical institution. This qualification must be verified by the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). As certificates produced by the ECFMG are only valid for 60 days candidates are not required to submit an EPIC certificate from the ECFMG at the time of application. Successful applicants will be required to submit an EPIC certificate to the GMC at the time they begin the process of joining the medical register.
- have completed an acceptable internship (or equivalent) of not less than 12 months following undergraduate training.
- have at least three years’ experience working in Psychiatry in the last five years (including the 12 months leading up to GMC registration).
- have completed the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test and achieved a minimum overall score of 7.5 (and at least 7.0 in each category) OR have achieved a grade B or over in each testing area of the medical version of the Occupational English Test (OET). The test must have been taken in the last two years.
- be resident overseas at time of application and have no rights of residence in the UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland.
- have obtained, or be working towards, a postgraduate qualification in psychiatry.
- have not previously made any unsuccessful attempts to register with the GMC (e.g. PLAB test) or exceeded the GMC’s limit on unsuccessful attempts at the PLAB test (Doctors who have failed - and not subsequently passed - either part 1 or part 2 of the PLAB test or who have previously been turned down for sponsorship by an approved sponsor are not generally considered as suitable candidates for sponsorship. If unsure, please see GMC website for clarification)
Costs for Doctors
We are now accepting applications from doctors for the 2020 RCPsych MTI scheme - the deadline for receiving applications is 2 February 2020.
To apply to join the RCPsych MTI Scheme please complete the forms listed below and send to firstname.lastname@example.org, including all relevant documents and certificates.
All documents should be clearly named and saved in .doc/.docx/.pdf or standard image formats. Applications should be sent to email@example.com in a single email. Documents should be saved individually using the document title and your full name as it appears in your passport. We are unable to accept any documents stored in cloud storage services such as Google Drive or as zip files. Emails should contain the applicant’s full name in the subject field. Please do not send any additional documentation.
- Section A1 - to be completed digitally
- Section A2 - to be completed by hand then scanned
- Section B1 - to be completed by referee then submitted by applicant
- Section B2 - to be completed by referee then submitted by applicant
- Section B3 - to be completed by referee then submitted by applicant
- Letter of support from National Psychiatric Association (or from International Division Chair, if you do not have a National Psychiatric Association and you are a member of the RCPsych) (template available)
- Letter of support from Current Employer/Institution
- Current CV
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of IELTS Academic Test Result Certificate or OET certificate
- Copy of Primary Medical Qualification Certificate
- Copy of Postgraduate Medical Qualification Certificate OR evidence of current postgraduate training
This diagram illustrates the application process:
Trusts that would like to employ an RCPsych MTI International Fellow from August 2020 should read the RCPsych MTI Guidance for Trusts and submit a RCPsych MTI Trust Submission Form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13 March 2020.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
For each doctor that is successfully matched with a post, the Trust will be required to pay an administrative fee of £750 to the RCPsych.