This page is intended for doctors who completed their primary medical education outside the UK and wish to work in psychiatry or pursue higher training in psychiatry in the UK.
We're keen to support International Medical Graduates (IMGs) who choose to follow a career in psychiatry in the UK.
RCPsych have produced a guide for International Medical Graduates pursuing a career in psychiatry in the UK. The guide provides a comprehensive overview of working, training and living in the UK as a psychiatrist.
- Applying for registration as an International Medical Graduate (GMC guidance)
- Working in the UK (GMC guidance)
- Working and training in the NHS – a guide for international medical graduates (NHS Employers)
- Clinical attachment: a guide for doctors
- Good Medical Practice Learning Materials (GMC)
- CPD eLearning
- Trainees Online (online learning resource to support trainee psychiatrists in preparing for MRCPsych exams)
- Guide for doctors new to the UK (BMA)
- Advice for IMG GPs (Health Education Yorkshire and Humber)
- Working and training in the NHS – a guide for IMGs (NHS Employers)
- Health Education England
International Medical Graduates’ Conference 2023: Embracing and Empowering Together took place online via Zoom on the 10th February 2023
The conference was aimed at:
International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
Medical Training Initiative (MTI) doctors
Widening Access to Specialty Training (WAST) scheme doctors
International doctors hoping to start a career in psychiatry
Trainers of International Medical Graduates (e.g. Heads of Schools and Programme Directors)
Anyone interested in recruitment and retention in psychiatry
This conference was an opportunity for International Medical Graduates and their trainers to share good practice and explore and celebrate diversity in the psychiatric workforce.
The conference involved a wide range of relevant topics including the RCPsych guide to living and working in the UK, GMC referrals, the new psychiatry curriculum, audit and quality improvement, an introduction to the Psychiatric Trainees Committee and the MRCPsych exams.
View the full programme online and watch the conference back below: