The National Audit of Schizophrenia (NAS) was commissioned by the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership (HQIP) as part of the National Clinical Audit and Patient Outcomes Programme (NCAPOP).
Being involved in NAS enabled clinicians who treat people with schizophrenia in the community to assess the quality of their prescribing of antipsychotic drugs and of their monitoring of patients’ physical health.
It also supported them to monitor patients’ experience and outcome of treatment, plus carers’ satisfaction with information and support.
Local services could compare their performance with national standards and to benchmark with other services. In addition, they could identify what they did well and where there was potential to improve.
Wide participation in the audit also created an overview of the quality of care being provided nationally.
It was expected that all Mental Health Trusts in England and Health Boards in Wales who provide community-based care and treatment to service users with schizophrenia would participate in NAS.
NAS ran for two rounds of audit and this work has been built upon by the National Clinical Audit of Psychosis (NCAP), which looks at the care being provided to people with a wider range of illnesses, and includes people in hospital settings as well as those in community services.
- Full second round national report 2014 (England and Wales) (pdf)
- Second round executive summary 2014 (England and Wales) (pdf)
- Adroddiad ar ail gylch yr Archwiliad Cenedlaethol o Sgitsoffrenia (NAS2) 2014 – Crynodeb Gweithredol - (Executive Summary, Welsh language version) (pdf)
- Second round of the National Audit of Schizophrenia (NAS2) - Report for Northern Ireland (pdf)
- Second National Audit of Schizophrenia - what you need to know - findings from the audit in plain English (pdf), which has been compiled by Rethink Mental Illness and NAS
- Second round national report (England and Wales) online version
- Data for the case note audit of the second round of NAS is available on www.data.gov.uk
- Full National report 2012 (England and Wales) (pdf) - includes findings from the audit and the full recommendations.
- Executive summary 2012 (England and Wales) (pdf) - contains the key national findings and summary of recommendations.
- National Audit of Schizophrenia: What you need to know (pdf) - a report presenting findings from the audit in plain English, which has been compiled by Rethink Mental Illness and NAS.
- National Audit of Schizophrenia: Easy read version (pdf) - an accessible version of the national report compiled by MenCap.
These tools have been made publicly available and should you choose to download them for uses outside of the National Audit of Schizophrenia, you are free to do so, but are hereby agreeing to enter into a royalty free, non-exclusive, licence agreement with Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership under the following terms and conditions.
All information, software, products and related graphics contained in the audit tool or data collection form are provided for non-commercial purposes "as is" without warranty, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of third party intellectual property rights.
In no event shall HQIP be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages for loss of profits, revenue, data or use incurred by you or any third party, whether in action in contract, tort, or otherwise, arising from your access to, or use of, the audit tool or form.
HQIP make no representations about the suitability, reliability, or timeliness, and accuracy of the information, software, products and related graphics contained in the audit tool or forms.
HQIP reserves the right to make improvements, changes or updates to forms or tools at any time without notice.
Audit tools for the second round of audit
NAS audit tools used in the first round of NAS:
*These tools and documents were specifically developed for use within the National Audit of Schizophrenia.