The African Division is happy to announce a bursary to enable a psychiatry trainee from the African Division to attend the Royal College International Congress 2020 at Edinburgh (29th June 2020 – 2nd July 2020) to give an oral or poster presentation. The bursary is up to a maximum of £1,000 and £400 towards the registration costs for the trainee to attend the congress.
Who can enter
A psychiatry trainee from the African Division (Please see list of countries included below)
- Must be a Trainee in Psychiatry (either a Junior Resident /Core Training or a Higher Specialist Trainee/Senior Resident)
- Must have already submitted a proposal for an oral or poster presentation at the Royal College International Congress 2020 at Edinburgh
- Only one entry per trainee is permitted
A decision-making panel of our Division will make the award against an agreed set of criteria. We reserve the right not to award the bursary if applications received are not of sufficient criteria.
Previous winners of the bursary are not eligible to participate
The successful candidate will be required to submit an article giving their feedback on the congress and their plans for disseminating their learning in their home country. If appropriate, the article (or extracts thereof) will be published in our newsletter.
Please follow the following format for submission of abstracts:
- Abstracts must be in English. Abbreviations may be used only if they are defined.
- The abstract must not exceed 350 words (count does not include title or authors). Abstracts should be typed single spaced, font size 10 in Word format using standard text, or text only format.
- The title should be in bold, followed by the full name(s) of the author and all co-authors, including titles (e.g. Dr) and their affiliations.
- The abstract must not contain bibliographical references, tables, diagrams or appendices. If accepted for presentation at the conference these can be added at a later date.
- Abstracts must be presented in five headed paragraphs in the following order:
- Aims and hypothesis
Submissions are accepted on the understanding that the work is original and that it has been performed with the permission of any relevant ethical or legislative body.
All sources of financial sponsorship of the study should be stated at the end of the abstract.
The deadline for submissions is Monday 16 March 2020
Send your entries to email@example.com
Our purpose is to share information and promote discussion about psychiatry within the Division.
- Chair: Professor Petrus deVries (South Africa)
- Vice Chair: Dr Catherine Syengo Mutisya (Kenya)
- Financial Officer: Dr Abdul Jalloh (Sierra-Leone)
If you’d like to tell us anything that will be of interest to our members in the region please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Our International Unit at the College offices in London provides overall administrative support to the African Division, you can contact us at email@example.com.
Our Division includes the following countries:
|Burkina Faso||Guinea||São Tomé and Principe|
|Cape Verde||Lesotho||Sierra Leone|
|Central African Republic||Liberia||South Africa|
|Congo Republic||Mauritania||United Republic of Tanzania|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||Mauritius||Zambia|