We're collaborating with the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) to appoint forty Psychiatry Foundation Fellowship (PFF) Programmes across England.
These two-year Fellowships will last for the duration of the foundation programme (FP). It will provide an unrivalled opportunity for current final year medical students commencing foundation training in August 2022.
In return, we will support you in your interest in mental health during one of the most challenging times of your career.
What are the benefits?
The PFF aims to improve exposure to psychiatry for foundation trainees. Trainees will access funded weekly psychiatric supervision and be able to attend reflective Balint groups. You will also be assigned a psychiatry supervisor, who will deliver weekly psychiatric supervision which will run on a longitudinal basis throughout the two-year foundation programme.
In addition to this, the College will award a variety of benefits over the two years, providing access to:
- Mentoring - You will be assigned a mentor to give you advice and support over the next two years.
- International Congress - You will be given free registration to attend our International Congress in 2022 and 2023. This includes a formal dinner with College Officers, Faculty members, mentors and other Fellows and bursary holders. A contribution towards accommodation and travel will be given.
- College events - You will be invited to special events to meet senior College Officers and members.
- Psychiatry related activities - Opportunities to apply for other relevant events and activities with a travel and CPD fund.
- CPD Online - You will be given access to the Royal College of Psychiatrists' eLearning site CPD Online. There are over 225 modules and more than 140 podcasts to keep you up to date with new research and best practice psychiatry.
- TrOn - Trainees Online is our online learning resource to support trainee psychiatrists prepare for MRCPsych exams.
- Journal subscriptions - You will be given print copies of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' journals: BJPsych Bulletin, BJPsych Advances, and The British Journal of Psychiatry.
Applications for the 2023 cohort are currently closed.
The Psychiatry Foundation Fellowship is changing from 2023. We anticipate that application to the PFF scheme will take place after allocation to Foundation Programmes and the application process will be separate from the UKFPO application process. Details of how to apply will be available shortly.
We have created a video outlining how to apply for the Fellowship, watch it below. (please note, though this video is dated 2021,the advice given remains applicable for 2022 applications)
Posts will be available in the following foundation schools:
- East Anglia
- Essex, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire (EBH)
- Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Rutland (LNR)
- North West of England
- South Thames
- West Midlands Central
- West Midlands North
- West Midlands South
- Yorkshire and Humber
Please be advised that you must submit an FP application before you will be able to apply for the PFF. You should only apply for a PFF post directly to the College if you have applied to one of the foundation schools on the above list.
Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- Wednesday 1 September 2021 – Posts advertised and Oriel registration window opens
- Wednesday 8 – Wednesday 22 September 2021- Application window for the main FP process
- Wednesday 1 December 2021–Monday 10 January 2022 – Application window for PFF through RCPsych
- February 2022 – Review of applications by RCPsych
- Thursday 10 March 2022 – National allocation to foundation schools
- Monday 21 March 2022 – Group match results released (where applicable)
- Monday 28 March 2022, 12:00 (noon) – Deadline for applicants to opt out of PFF selection process by emailing email@example.com
- Thursday 7 April 2022 – Match to programme results released
- July/August 2022 – Posts commence
We are able to put you in touch with a psychiatrist to provide you with guidance on your application – if you would like to do this, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any queries please contact email@example.com.