This leaflet provides information, not advice.
The content in this leaflet is provided for general information only. It is not intended to, and does not, mount to advice which you should rely on. It is not in any way an alternative to specific advice.
You must therefore obtain the relevant professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action based on the information in this leaflet.
If you have questions about any medical matter, you should consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider without delay.
If you think you are experiencing any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention from a doctor or other professional healthcare provider.
Although we make reasonable efforts to compile accurate information in our leaflets and to update the information in our leaflets, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in this leaflet is accurate, complete or up to date.
Helping people with communications and learning disabilities understand their world
Many people understand pictures better than words.
Books Beyond Words tell powerful stories just in pictures to help people with learning disabilities cope with some of life's biggest challenges. At the back of each book, there is a written storyline, with guidelines and a range of resources for supporters and professionals.
The titles cover:
- Health and wellbeing
- Physical health
- Mental health and trauma
- Health screening
- Using services
- Criminal Justice System
The Royal College of Psychiatrists' Faculty of the Psychiatry of Learning Disability and the Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust have produced a new series of very accessible information for people with mental health problems and learning disabilities. All these materials have been written and tested with people with learning disabilities and their carers.
These leaflets can be easily printed off from this page. The help and support section at the end of each leaflet can be completed by the person being given this information, to include contact details of their GP, Psychiatrist, Community Nurse or any other professional involved in their care.
- Learning disability and mental health: leaflet for carers of, and professionals working with, people with learning disability
- Using Medication to Manage Behavioural Problems in Adults with Learning Disabilities - Includes leaflet for people with learning disability
- Eating well
- Mental Capacity and the Law
- Exercise and mental health
Children and young people
- Specific learning difficulties: what parents and teachers need to know The child with general learning disability : what parents and teachers need to know Understanding autism and Asperger's syndrome : what parents and teachers need to know
Information for the public
- Books Beyond Words :Series of picture books for use by people with learning disabilities to make communication easier and allow for discussion.
Information for professionals
- CR200. Psychiatric services for young people with intellectual disabilities
- Seminars in the Psychiatry of Learning Disabilities - Second edition
We would welcome any feedback on these leaflets – please email Thomas Kennedy.
We are grateful to:
- Dr Sab Bhaumik (former chair of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' Faculty of Learning Disability)
- Louise Talbott and Jane Parr (speech and language therapists)
- Dr Shweta Gangavati, Dr Abdul Shaikh, Dr Avinash Hiremath, Dr Satheesh Gangadhara, Dr Paul Winterbottom and Dr Ray Jacques
- Members of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' user and carer group.