Thank you for taking the time to review the PTC section of the RCPsych website.
If you’re a current psychiatry trainee – we are here for you! We represent you within and outside the College, and our number one priority this year is to improve our engagement with you. We want to thank you for everything you have done over the COVID-19 pandemic.
We understand the anxieties you may have had about your training and career progression, and we will continue to represent you within the College to make things as streamlined and trainee friendly as possible. We do this by having representation across the College committees and working closely with the training and workforce team at the College.
You are represented by a number of local trainees and they work hard to engage with you and represent you. We want to ensure that we represent the voices of every trainee across the country. Please have a look at the PTC map to find out who your local reps are.
We have written a little about the PTC below:
What do we do?
- Represent psychiatric trainees across the UK at the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and British Medical Association
- To support and value psychiatric trainees throughout their training
- To drive improvements in the quality of training to improve the quality of care and lives of people with mental illness
- To encourage recruitment and retention within psychiatry.
What is our structure?
- 39 elected representatives from all Divisions
- 1 military trainee
- Elected officers – Chair, Vice-chair and Secretary
- 2 elected representatives from the Student and Foundation Associate membership (1 Medical Student and 1 Foundation Trainee) who are co-opted onto the PTC
- Co-opted Editor of The Registrar
- Trainee representative from PSS
- An International Medical Graduate representative
- Ex-Officio: The Dean, Associate Deans and immediate past PTC Chair.
Our priorities are:
- Trainee Workforce
Some of our current projects include:
- Parental leave guidance
- Psychotherapy training report
- Cost of training transparency document
- IMG guide
- Social media platform national trial
- National CT and ST welcome events
- CT3 careers webinar
- National trainees’ conference.
Please read the Chair’s welcome blog post for more information about our current plans for the coming year.
We can only be the voice of trainees with your input. We want to hear from you and receive your feedback. Please feel free to email us at PTCsupport@rcpsych.ac.uk or contact us individually on social media.
We look forward to representing you over the coming year.
Very best wishes,
Dr Luke Baker
Dr Shevonne Matheiken
Dr Rosemary Gordon