Services for sick doctors

There are a number of services that support doctors, although provision varies throughout the south west region. 

This list is not exhaustive and as we receive more information, we will add to it. 

Doctors working for AWP can contact ATOS Health Care, an independent provider of employee support and occupational health services.  This organisation supports doctors on a range of issues including alcohol and drug misuse, stress and trauma.

They can be contacted confidentially on 0800 954 1511

AWP also provide an online help on a number of health issues, and contact details for the Employee Assistance Programme which offers confidential, independent and unbiased information and guidance on a range of emotional, health and social problems. Their network of counsellors are bound by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy Code of Ethics.

Doctors working for CAMHS can get advice and support from the Severnside Institute for Psychotherapy.  They may be contacted at:

11 Orchard Street

Tel: 0117 927 3898   


The Cornwall Occupational Health Service provides advice and support in relation to a number of issues, includingassistance to stop smoking, immunisation programmes, and a confidential counselling services for employees. Doctors can contact the Consultant Occupational Health Physician at:

Cornwall NHS Occupational Health
Pendeen House
Royal Cornwall Hospital

Tel: 01872 252770   


The Well@Work Team at Somerset Partnership provides staff with advice, information and guidance on health issues such as health screening, contamination injury support, immunisation, physiotherapy, physical, emotional and mental health.

The Well@Work Team can be contacted directly for mild to moderate emotional and/or mental health issues on 01278 410035.

Right Management Workplace wellness advisors deliver the Employees Assistance Programme on behalf of the Well@Work Team. Referral is available to staff via the Trust's HR department. Doctors should contact:

Tel: 01278 432076

Occupational Health

Optima Occupational Health
Tel: 0844 826 0306

Right Management Workplace's confidential advice line may be called on 0800 1116 387

Doctors may also contact Care First for advice, information and counselling on work-related or personal problems. They can be contacted confidentially at any time of the day on 0800 174319.

The Working Well Occupational Health Service is a strategic service unit of 2gether NHS Foundation Trust. 

Doctors can make a confidential self referral to this independent service, for medical or counselling support on a range of issues such as stress management, time management, assertiveness, post traumatic stress, communication difficulties and conflicts at work. 

Cases are dealt with individually on a case-by-case basis, and you will be referred to the most appropriate practitioner, either locally or out of area.  Doctors should contact:

Tel: 0300 422 5165

The Psychiatrists' Support Service is a free, confidential support and advice service for members, trainee members and associates of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. You can contact the service at:

See further information about the service and extra resources.

Doctors in training can contact the Professional Support and Wellbeing (PSW) team to discuss any challenges or concerns, in a confidential and supportive environment.

Possible support includes coaching and mentoring, counselling, exam support, language and communication skills, career guidance, and Supported Return to Training (SuppoRTT).

There is a referral form on the website to self-refer to PSW, or make a referral on behalf of someone you supervise.  You can contact the PSW team with any queries via There are also links to other sources of support, e.g. trust, external and NHS England South West.

Litfield House Medical Centre offers private consultation to medical professionals.  This is a private practice but funding may be available.

For General Practitioners in the Bristol, BANES, South Glos and North Somerset areas, a free assessment and two free treatment sessions to see a psychologist or psychiatrist are available.  Doctors can self refer, but are encouraged to get a GP referral letter where possible. More details

Hospital Doctors, GPs from other areas, or Doctors in private practice can self fund, use medical insurance or may be able to get funding via their Occupational Health/Trust/PCT.  Please call 0117 973 1323 and they will advise.

Read more to receive further information regarding a career in psychiatry