In addition to details of the faculty's executive committee (below), we have also produced a map showing the approximate location of consultants in our specialty.
|Member||Year of joining||Position|
|Dr Jessica Yakeley||2021||Chair|
|Dr Mark Morris||2018 (E)||Financial Officer|
|Dr Dasal Abayaratne||2021 (C)||Sustainability Champion|
|Dr Anthony Ang Wee Kiat||2012 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Sophie Atwood||2020 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Abul Awal||2021||Regional Representative|
|Dr Alan Baban||2021||PTC Rep|
|Dr Parveen Bains||2018 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Parveen Bains||2018 (RRO)||Committee Member|
|Dr Daniel Beales||2021||Regional Representative|
|Dr William Burbridge-James||2015 (C)||SAC Chair|
|Mr James Cooke||2020 (A)||Committee Member|
|Dr Anne Cooper||2020 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Josephine Fielding||2021||PTC Rep|
|Dr Marcella Fok||2020 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Nora Gribbin||2021 (C)||Sustainability Champion|
|Dr Simon Heyland||2018 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Thomas Hillen||2020 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Swapna Kongara||2021 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Emma Lewington||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Vikram Luthra||2020 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Vikram Luthra||2020 (RRO)||Committee Member|
|Dr Caroline McCurrie||2018 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Owen McNeill||2020 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Michael Milmore||2021 (A)||Equality Champion|
|Dr Miomir Milovanovic||2020 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Judith Mirsky||2018 (C)||Higher Trainee Representative|
|Dr Josephine O'Reilly||2016 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Philip Osborne||2020 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Pamela Peters||2020 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Beena Rajkumar||2022||Regional Representative|
|Dr Florian Ruths||2018 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Padakkara Saju||2018 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Dinesh Sinha||2018 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Catherine Smith||2016 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Gerti Stegen||2020 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Sebastiao Viola||2020 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Svetlin Vrabtchev||2013 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Christopher Walsh||2021||PTC Rep|
|Dr Andy Williams||2021||Committee Member|
|Miss Grace Wood||2020 (A)||Committee Member|
- To advance both within and without the College all modalities of psychotherapy (cognitive behavioural, psychodynamic and systemic) as an integral part of psychiatry
- To improve public knowledge of psychotherapy in the treatment of mental illness
- To increase theoretical and clinical knowledge of psychotherapy in the training of psychiatrists
- To promote research in psychotherapy.
We will advance these aims by:
- Fostering the establishment of consultant medical psychotherapy posts, and development of psychotherapy departments in all mental health units
- Ensuring representatives are on appropriate committees in the College
- Having an active psychotherapy training committee developing and monitoring standards of psychotherapy training
- Responding to documents of relevance to psychotherapy, for example from the Department of Health
- Working with other organisations involved in the development of psychological treatments such as the British Psychological Society and the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
- Arranging annual conferences on topics of interest.
We are committed to furthering understanding of, and advancing appropriate psychological treatment for, diverse forms of human distress and disorder.
The approach to understanding people and the systems within which they are located integrates biological, psychological and social levels of explanation, and pays special attention to the significance of relationships in a lifespan developmental perspective. This is an approach to understanding and promoting wellbeing, as well as shaping and informing interventions for ill-health and social dysfunction. We recognise the potential significance of trauma and transitions in mental illness and of resilience in mental health.
We seek to teach and disseminate this perspective both within and outside the College, and to ensure it is embedded in the training and practice of psychiatry. We encourage and support research in psychotherapy and related fields. We are committed to raising public awareness of the profound importance of relationships throughout development and in treatment.
In all this we work collaboratively with our patients and with their families and friends, respecting their privacy and dignity, as well as with other colleagues, professions and organisations.
We support clinicians to deliver this approach across a range of settings including:
- The direct delivery of clinical care to individuals to promote their recovery from mental distress
- The targeting of psychological and social interventions to reduce distress in families, in communities, and in the broader systems in which an individual lives
- The provision of clinical supervision to raise the quality of health care
- The provision of robust clinical governance frameworks for psychological therapy services
- The training of undergraduate and postgraduate medical staff
- The development and maintenance of psychological, social and cultural health in
- The promotion of public understanding of mental health.