COVID-19: Webinars for members
Thursday 3 September 2020
This webinar's topic was: Inspiring the next generation to become great leaders: the experiences of consultant psychiatrists from the South Asian diaspora
Following the South Asian History Month, this webinar aimed to inspire South Asian psychiatrists from a range of backgrounds to consider and complete psychiatric training, and become consultants and future medical leaders.
We heard the experiences of three consultant psychiatrists and leaders, focussing on:
- Life in a multicultural society: growing up, living and working in inner city Birmingham, including a journey from humble beginnings to working in a multicultural community, which has a variety of needs.
- From Kashmir to the United Kingdom- training and working through different cultures. Discussion around training in psychiatry and work culture in different continents.
- A personal journey from being a medical student in Govt. Medical College Srinagar to a Medical Director at KMPT.
- Dr Hassan Mahmood: Life in a multicultural society: growing up, living and working in inner city Birmingham.
- Dr Afifa Qazi: My journey so far; from a Medical student to a Medical Director.
- Dr Mudasir Firdosi: From Kashmir to the United Kingdom- training and working through different cultures.
Chair: Venu Branch, Director, Community Links, and Deputy Chair, Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust.