Dean's Grand Rounds
Improving the management of alcohol dependence for patients admitted to Mental Health Inpatient Units
Free Members' Webinar
Thursday 16 June 2022
Overview of this webinar
The first webinar in our series of free #DeansGrandRounds webinars was titled 'Improving the management of alcohol dependence for patients admitted to Mental Health Inpatient Units' and took place on Thursday 16 June
2022 from 4 - 5:30pm.
The Faculty of Addictions Psychiatry and the West Midlands Division have teamed up to examine the loss of addiction expertise in psychiatry. The issue is particularly timely as the requirement of the new GMC curriculum (starting August 2022) is for all CT1-3 trainees to demonstrate competence in the assessment and management of addiction.
The webinar explored the project in detail and included a presentation of POMH data from 14 a,b,c) management of alcohol withdrawal in IP units and trends since 2014. An overview of local data sets was also presented.
- Chair: Dr Abdul Raoof
- Introducing the Grand Rounds: Professor Subodh Dave
- Why every psychiatrist needs to know how to manage alcohol withdrawal. Curriculum change and launch of tutor: Professor Julia Sinclair
- The patient perspective: Dr Ed Day and Gemma
- Alcohol and mental health data: Dr Zafar Iqbal
- Prescribing Observatory for Mental Health (POMH) data presentation: Professor Julia Sinclair
- Scoping exercise presentation: Dr Renarta Rowe, Dr Rowena Jones and Kerry Webb
- Developing a QI project: Dr Deepa Bagepalli Krishnan and Dr Alina Braicu
- QI project - To improve patient outcomes (and reduce re-admissions) to psychiatric inpatient units and medical wards: Dr Alina Braicu
- Panel discussion and Q&A
- Additional panellists: Dr Derrett Watts and Dr Muhammad Gul