Our Faculty and Executive, is made up of consultant psychiatrists, specialty doctors, trainee psychiatrists, service users and carer group representatives.
We provide a network of rehabilitation specialists, spanning the specialist teams of rehabilitation, early intervention, assertive outreach and forensic psychiatry and aims to stay informed in all fields relevant to us.
Killaspy et al, 2005 define Rehabilitation psychiatry as; ‘A whole systems approach to recovery from mental illness that maximises an individual’s quality of life and social inclusion by encouraging their skills, promoting independence and autonomy in order to give them hope for the future and leading to successful community living through appropriate support’.
|Member||Year of joining||Position|
|Dr Sunil Nodiyal||2021||Chair|
|Dr Asha Praseedom||2021||Vice Chair|
|Dr Hemant Bagalkote||2021||Financial Officer|
|Dr Saeed Alam||2019 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Kate Aldersey||2018 (C)||SAS Doctor Representative|
|Dr Shahzad Alikhan||2021||Committee Member|
|Mr Maurice Arbuthnott||2020 (A)||Committee Member|
|Miss Ritah Bernadt||2016 (A)||Committee Member|
|Miss Ritah Bernadt||2016 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr William Calthorpe||2017 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Lucy Carrick||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Maire Cooney||2019 (C)||Scotland|
|Dr Nuwan Dissanayaka||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Jennifer Drife||2019 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Thomas Edwards||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Claire Gallagher||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr James Jeffs||2018 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Sridevi Kalidindi||2017 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Priya Khanna||2017 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Helen Killaspy||2013 (C)||Immediate Past Chair|
|Dr Celice McDermott||2018 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Rajesh Mohan||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Andrew Molodynski||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Patricia Moynihan||2013 (C)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Maung Oakarr||2019 (E)||Committee Member|
|Ms Karen Persaud||2016 (A)||Committee Member|
|Ms Karen Persaud||2016 (C)||Committee Member|
|Dr Joseph Rodrigues||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Adarsh Shetty||2015 (C)||Wales|
|Dr Neeti Singh||2021||Committee Member|
|Dr Jonas Sundarakumar||2019 (E)||Committee Member|
|Dr Phalaksh Walishetty||2016 (RRO)||Regional Representative|
|Dr Stephanie Young||2021 (C)||Committee Member|
We aim to:
- Provide a body of expert opinion in the fields of rehabilitation and longer term mental health conditions to the College, the Department of Health and other relevant bodies, including service providers, commissioners and voluntary organisations
- Provide advice and positively influence national and international policies as they affect persons with longer term mental health conditions, their carers and the doctors and other professionals involved in their care
- Promote knowledge and understanding and provide opportunities for the professional development of all doctors, allied health professionals, commissioners and managers, in areas relevant to rehabilitation, recovery and social psychiatry
- Advocate for service users with complex longer term psychiatric conditions in all settings in all relevant fora
- Continuously promote and develop postgraduate training in rehabilitation and social psychiatry.
- Support trainers and trainees in the field of rehabilitation psychiatry
encourage and promote scientific study and research in enduring psychiatric disability and the social factors that limit functioning
- Collaborate to improve the evidence-base in effective interventions and service models for this service user group
- Act as the coordinating body for the regional networks of rehabilitation psychiatrists
- Set national standards and peer review accreditation of care in psychiatric rehabilitation, in collaboration with our College Centre for Quality Improvement (CCQI)
- Constantly strive to achieve parity of esteem between mental health and physical health
- Strive to improve the physical health of those in rehabilitation settings.
Regional representatives are our local link. They are invited to attend central executive committee meetings and help influence College and national policies on rehabilitation and recovery.
Regional representatives have a say on local job descriptions for consultants and specialty doctors.
They also have the opportunity to offer rehabilitation expertise to local deaneries and schools of psychiatry.
List of regional representatives
|Dr Saeed Alam||London|
|Dr William Calthorpe||West Midlands|
|Dr Maire Cooney||Scotland|
|Dr Arpan Dutta||Mersey|
|Dr James Jeffs||Oxford|
|Dr Priya Khanna||North East|
|Dr Celice McDermott||South West|
|Dr Rajesh Nehete||Eastern|
|Dr Adarsh Shetty||Wales|
|Dr Phalaksh Walishetty||Yorkshire|
|Dr Stephanie Young||London|