Pre-course reading - Section 12(2) Induction
Recommended pre-course reading: these resources are referred to throughout the course, so familiarity with their content will support your learning. The Mental Health Act Code of Practice and Reference Guide should also be read.
- Care Quality Commission (2020) Monitoring the Mental Health Act in 2018/19. CQC.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2016) Mental Health Act: Instructions with Respect to the Exercise of an Approval Function in Relation to Section 12 Doctors 2015.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2020) Mental Health Act 1983: Supplementary instructions with respect to the exercise of an approval function in relation to Section 12 doctors 2020.
- Department of Health (2015a) Mental Health Act 1983: Code of Practice. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Department of Health (2015b) Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Wessely S (2018) Modernising the Mental Health Act: Increasing choice, reducing compulsion – Final report of the Independent Review of the Mental Health Act 1983. Department of Health and Social Care.
- Zigmond T, Brindle N (2016) A Clinician's Brief Guide to the Mental Health Act (Fourth Edition). RCPsych Publications.
This video-based module on Trainees Online (TrOn) covers giving evidence at mental health tribunals:
- CPD eLearning Podcast: Mental Health Tribunals: response to the COVID-19 emergency. Royal College of Psychiatrists
This podcast covers the response of mental health tribunals to the COVID-19 emergency:
- Tribunals Judiciary, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust (2018) Mental health tribunals: giving evidence. Trainees Online (TrOn), Royal College of Psychiatrists
Please contact S12ACtraining@rcpsych.ac.uk with any enquiries.