Accessibility Page Navigation
Style sheets must be enabled to view this page as it was intended.
The Royal College of Psychiatrists Improving the lives of people with mental illness

Am I eligible?

This page will help you decide whether you are eligible to take our exams. 

Paper A

You are eligible to take Paper A if you are a fully registered medical practitioner.


Paper B

You are eligible to take Paper B if:

  • you’re on an approved training programme. We recommend you have 12 months’ experience in psychiatry before attempting Paper B.

  • OR

  • you are in a post recognised by your hospital or trust as having contracted time and funding for educational training. Your job plan must include dedicated time for academic and educational activities such as attending journal clubs, grand rounds, attending an MRCPsych course of equivalent, study leave and weekly educational supervision.


CASC (Clinical Assessment of Skills and Competencies)

You are eligible to take CASC if:

  • You have 24 months’ whole time equivalent post foundation / internship experience in psychiatry.

  • AND

  • A pass in Papers A and B, OR you comply with transitional arrangements

  • AND

  • You have sponsorship in place, and can demonstrate one of the following:

    • If your post is within a programme of approved training, you have successfully completed the Annual Review of Competence Progression by the time you apply for CASC.

    • for all other posts, you must have successfully completed an Assessment Portfolio, showing achievement of equivalent competencies to those defined in the ARCP, to include competencies in Psychotherapy AND Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, or Learning Disability.


Download exams eligibility criteria and regulations

For more detailed information about the eligibility criteria including sponsorship requirements, see the exams eligibility criteria and regulations (PDF).
Login - Members Area

If you don't have an account please Click here to Register

Make a Donation