Setting up a new prize
If you would like to set up a new prize, a proposal should be sent to the Education and Training Committee. Your proposal needs to include:
- a full description of the prize
- the target audience
- the value
- where the funding is coming from
- how often the prize will be awarded
- justification for the establishment of such a prize
- who would be able to apply
- whether the proposal is for a College prize or a Faculty, SiG or Divisional prize
- who would examine entries for the prize
- a suggested closing date.
Please note that prizes shouldn't be named after living persons.
Please speak to your committee or SiG's manager, who will be able to support you through the budgeting and proposing process.
- An initial budget will need to be prepared and funding identified. This should be done by working with the relevant committee or SiG hosting the prize and in collaboration with the staff member supporting that group (who will consult the College's Finance Department and Treasurer if needed), as it may be necessary to include administrative charges.
- This can be reviewed by the Treasurer via the Finance Management Committee and, if necessary, by Council.
- The final proposal is sent using our online proposal form for consideration to the Education & Training Committee, whose remit is to make sure that the objectives of the prize are valid, educationally-sound and appropriately named. Please ensure that proposals are sent no later than two weeks prior to an ETC meeting.
Examiners for all College prizes must be approved by the Education & Training Committee. If a prize is created by a Faculty, SiG or Division, Examiners will need to be approved by the Faculty, SiG or Division concerned and reported to the
Education & Training Committee for information.