Pre-course reading - Approved Clinician Induction
These resources are referred to throughout the course, so familiarity with their content will support your learning. The Mental Health Act Code of Practice and Reference Guide should also be read.
- Barkhuizen W, Cullen AE, Shetty H, et al. (2020) Community treatment orders and associations with readmission rates and duration of psychiatric hospital admission: a controlled electronic case register study. BMJ Open.
- Care Quality Commission (2020) Monitoring the Mental Health Act in 2018/19. CQC.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2016) Mental Health Act: Instructions with Respect to the Exercise of an Approval Function in Relation to Approved Clinicians 2015.
- Department of Health and Social Care (2020) Mental Health Act 1983: Supplementary instructions with respect to the exercise of an approval function in relation to Approved Clinicians 2020.
- Department of Health (2015a) Mental Health Act 1983: Code of Practice. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Department of Health (2015b) Reference Guide to the Mental Health Act 1983. TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Wessely S (2018) Modernising the Mental Health Act: Increasing choice, reducing compulsion – Final report of the Independent Review of the Mental Health Act 1983. Department of Health and Social Care.
- Zigmond T, Brindle N (2016) A Clinician's Brief Guide to the Mental Health Act (Fourth Edition). RCPsych Publications.
Please contact S12ACtraining@rcpsych.ac.uk with any enquiries.