View the main College resources on COVID-19.
Thanks to Dr Alex Thomson and Dr Shammi Shetty for collating and categorising the resources below. We are grateful to Liaison Psychiatry colleagues for their willingness to share their resources with Faculty members.
Advice for Workers
Psychological Impact of workers in China
Summary of article – Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
Psychological Considerations for HCW during pandemic
Preparation and Planning Guidance for HCW during Pandemic
Mental Health Advice for HCW during COVID-19
Advice for HCW and patients
Advice for Patients
Clinicians Tools for Assessment and Treatment of Patients
Breaking Bad News during the Pandemic
MH Triage and Assessment Frameworks
Delirium and COVID-19
MH Legal Framework during COVID-19
- Alternatives to emergency departments for mental health assessments during the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF)
- Liaison psychiatry and the management of long-term conditions and medically unexplained symptoms (PDF)
- Framework for routine outcome measurement in Liaison psychiatry (PDF)
- Integrated care for long term physical health conditions and medically unexplained symptoms: a survey of Liaison psychiatry services (PDF)
- Liaison psychiatry for every acute hospital: Integrated mental and physical healthcare (PDF)
- Managing Deliberate Self Harm in Young People (PDF)
- Assessment Following Self-harm in Adults (PDF)
- Side by Side: a UK wide consensus statement on working together to help patients with mental health needs in acute hospitals (PDF)
- The role of liaison psychiatry in integrated physical and mental healthcare (PDF)
- Provision of liaison psychiatry services across the lifepan (PDF)
- Position statement on the involvement of anaesthetists in restraint teams (PDF)
Read the Summer 2020 edition
- Winter 2019 (PDF)
- Summer 2019 (PDF)
- Winter 2018 (PDF)
- Spring 2018 (PDF)
- Winter 2017 (PDF)
- Summer 2017 (PDF)
- Winter 2016/2017 (PDF)
- Spring 2016. (PDF)
If you would like to read older editions, please email our archivist.
We invite newsletter submissions relevant to liaison psychiatry including:
- reports on service development
- conferences and events.
Please note that we do not accept case reports for publication.
Email us with your 1-2 page article and include your name, title, place of work and contact details along with a photo of the primary author.
In 2016 in partnership with Health Education England we ran a pilot to develop a credential in Liaison Psychiatry. The pilot was aimed at consultants who already have a CCT in General or Old Age psychiatry (or equivalent) who wish to work in a liaison psychiatry service as a Liaison psychiatrist. The aim was to establish what a post CCT credential could look like, and the cost and feasibility of participating.
Currently, formal training in Liaison Psychiatry is only offered as part of higher specialist training leading to an endorsement. A recognised training route is needed for consultants working (or expected to work) in this area, who do not hold an endorsement in liaison psychiatry to meet the service demands.
The pilot is now complete. If you are interested in the outcome or would like to be kept informed of any future opportunities please email Alice Simpson, Curricula and Quality Coordinator, with your details.
JISCmail is the national academic mailing list service.
It helps people working in education and research sectors to discuss, debate, collaborate and communicate with peers, experts and partners using mailing lists. Mailing lists are themed around taught subjects, research areas, special interest groups and collaborative project activities.
Liaison Conversations update 2020
Liaison Conversations update 2019
- December 2019-January 2020
- October-November 2019
- August- September 2019
- June - July 2019 (PDF)
- April - May 2019 (PDF)
- Feb - March 2019 (PDF)
Liaison Conversations update 2018
- December 2018 - January 2019 (PDF)
- October-November 2018 (PDF)
- August-September 2018 (PDF)
- June - July 2018 (PDF)
- April - May 2018 (PDF)
- Feb - March 2018 (PDF)
Liaison Conversations update 2017
- Dec 2017 - Jan 2018 (PDF)
- Oct - Nov 2017 (PDF)
- Aug - Sept 2017 (PDF)
- June - July 2017 (PDF)
- April 2017 - May 2017 (PDF)
- February 2017 - March 2017 (PDF)
- December 2016 - January 2017 (PDF)
Liaison Conversations update 2016
- October - November 2016 (PDF)
- August - September 2016 (PDF)
- June - July 2016 (PDF)
- April - May 2016 (PDF)
- January - March 2016 (PDF)
Liaison psychiatry discussion lists
Commissioning and services
- Centre for Mental Health: liaison psychiatry
- Revolving Doors & Centre for Mental Health: complex needs report
- Joint commissioning panel for mental health guide: liaison mental health services
- IAPT: Long Term Conditions and Medically Unexplained Symptoms
- Five Year Forward View
- King's Fund: Place-based systems of care
- AOMRC: Improving the physical health of adults with severe mental illness.
See our award-winning mental health information on:
West London NHS has created a series of videos, hosted on YouTube, for emergency staff.
Update 16 March 2020: 09:00
Faculty of Liaison Psychiatry Annual Conference 2020
13-15 May 2020