In September 2023, the Public Mental Health Implementation Centre (PMHIC) held a Symposium on the Commercial Determinants of Mental Health.
On Friday 29 September 2023, the Public Mental Health Implementation Centre (PMHIC) in collaboration with the Commercial Determinants Research Group at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) hosted a symposium on the topic of Commercial Determinants of Mental Health.
The event took place at Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych) and brought together experts from academia, policy, and people with lived experience to discuss and raise awareness of the impact of Commercial Determinants of Mental Health and foster collaboration between relevant stakeholders.
- Professor Mark Petticrew, Professor of Public Health Evaluation in the Department of Social and Environmental Health Research, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)
- Dr May CI van Schalkwyk, MBBS MPH, Specialist Registrar in Public Health and Honorary Research Fellow at the Faculty of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)
- Dr Peter Rice, MB ChB, FRCPsych, FRCPE, President of the European Alcohol Policy Alliance (APA), Chair of the Institute of Alcohol Studies (IAS)
- Hazel Cheeseman, Deputy Chief Executive, Action on Smoking and Health (ASH)
- Alfred Slade, Government Affairs Lead, Obesity Health Alliance (OHA)
The symposium sparked insightful conversations and highlighted the similarities in the strategies of different industries such as tobacco, food, alcohol, fuel, and gambling, in promoting commercial determinants. It also underscored the need for interdisciplinary collaboration to face the industries’ strategies. The event was a testament to the collective dedication of attendees to understanding the impact of commercial determinants on mental health and served as a catalyst for reflection on possible actions to mitigate their effects.