Thursday 11 January 2024
Overview of this webinar
Staff working in healthcare settings experience significant work-related mental health distress. An interplay of a number of personal, occupational and socio-environmental factors results in high rates of burnout and mental health problems amongst physicians.
This session of Dean’s Grand Rounds focused on exploring and understanding this problem through physician experience, case studies and local data. The session also focused on some unique challenges in low and middle income countries and barriers to seeking mental health support amongst physicians.
We heard about an innovative approach developed in the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), India to enhance physician wellbeing.
The session was led by Dr Deepa Bagepalli Krishnan, RCPsych Dean’s Grand Rounds Lead. Speakers included:
- Professor Subodh Dave, Dean, RCPsych
- Dr Pratima Murthy, Director, NIMHANS
- Dr Venkata Lakshmi Narasimha, Faculty, NIMHANS
- Dr Jayant Mahadevan, Faculty, NIMHANS
- Dr Prabhat Chand, Faculty, NIMHANS
- Short Mental Health Stories of Doctors: Sad and Happy Lives - Dr Venkata Lakshmi Narasimha
- Mental health concerns among medical professionals – Review and synthesis - Dr Jayant Mahadevan
- NAMAH: An Innovative Wellbeing Programme for Physician's Mental Health - Dr Prabhat Chand
- Mental illness and suicide among physicians https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01596-8/fulltext
- Every Doctor Healthier Doctors = Healthier Patients By Leanne Rowe, Vihangi Abeygunawardana, Michael Kidd 2nd Edition , 2023
- NAMAH website from National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences https://www.namahnimhans.in/