- Raise awareness of the value of understanding the contribution of evolutionary theory to psychiatry
- Encourage research into the evolutionary psychiatry
- Provide a forum for psychiatrists and others to discuss evolutionary models, research ideas and data with fellow evolutionists
- Facilitate networking with academic institutions and evolutionary scientists, biologists, psychotherapists, psychologists and other disciplines such as philosophy
- Keep members and supporters of the SIG informed via our webpage and newsletter
- Organise workshops, symposia and conferences on evolutionary psychiatry and related subjects
- Organise sessions at the WPA and the College's International Congress, as well as with Faculties and Devolved Nations and Divisions.
For more information about aims and objectives for this year please see our Annual Plan 2022.
Increasing trainee involvement
The Evolutionary Psychiatry SIG (EPSIG) aims to increase trainee involvement in its activities to help raise awareness of the importance of evolutionary science to the understanding of mental disorder among trainees in the UK.
We are therefore reaching out to our members to invite expressions of interest from psychiatric trainees at all levels and in all specialties in the UK to join a group of evolutionary-minded trainees to form an EPSIG Trainee Executive Committee (that
will work alongside the current EPSIG executive committee). Any psychiatric trainee in the UK is welcome to apply but our aim is to have representation from across the country as far as possible. The only requirements are an interest in understanding
the implications of evolution to psychiatry and mental health and an enthusiasm to promote awareness of this among trainees within their Deaneries/regions.
We are hoping to hold a whole-day workshop at the college HQ in London (27 January 2023) for interested trainees willing to act as trainee convenors for EPSIG in their areas. Please pass this message on to any interested trainees.
Please send expressions of interest to Tom Carpenter (CT2, trainee member on the executive committee of EPSIG): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul St John-Smith(Chair)
- Riadh Abed (Finance Officer)
- Annie Swanepoel (Associate Newsletter Editor)