The Mental Health Policy Group (MHPG) has published its manifesto for the next Prime Minister in advance of the Conservative leadership election result being announced on 5 September. MHPG is an informal coalition of six national organisations (including RCPsych) working together to improve mental health through policy influencing activities at national level.
In the manifesto, we set out five areas that the next Prime Minister must address in order to improve the lives of people with mental health problems and improve the mental health of the nation.
The five priorities are:
- Focus on prevention and disparities.
- Reform the Mental Health Act.
- Expand mental health services to address need.
- Deliver cross-government action.
- Address the shortfall in mental health social care.