Fellows will have mentorship from senior medical leaders and utilise protected special interest time to lead local projects that make a meaningful difference for their organisations.
We progress beyond the basic capabilities expected of all psychiatrists, to accelerate fellows development through the combination of a high impact leadership development programme, with a local apprenticeship model, where fellows proactively engage in leadership projects and are mentored by senior medical leaders within their organisations.
The scheme occurs in-programme, utilising special interest time over a 12 month period, and is open and available to all higher specialty trainees. Fellows unite with colleagues from across the UK through a suite of virtually delivered modules that have been developed and are led by our exciting new faculty of established psychiatric leaders.
Tailored to develop fellows’ behaviours in accordance with the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management’s Standards for Medical Professionals, fellows become better prepared to lead themselves, their teams, and lead within the organisations and systems of modern mental health services.
The Royal College of Psychiatrists is committed to embedding a culture of medical leadership to benefit patient care, and the Leadership and Management Fellow Scheme is a strong platform for achieving this ambition.
High quality care
Enhanced medical engagement
Fellows hold mutually enhancing conversations with trainees, senior leaders and management to boost the performance of the organisation.
Emerging medical leaders
Invest in your local talent and nurture the next cohort of medical leaders within your organisation.
Gain a deeper understanding of your own leadership style and how to be authentic in your role.
Discover your inner leader
Begin or continue the process of discovering and releasing your leadership potential.
Mentoring, networking & support
Learn from senior medical leaders and develop an inspiring network of like-minded peers, including from within the RCPsych Leadership and Management Fellow Scheme Alumni Network, which fellows are invited to join on completion of the scheme.
Leadership & management skills
Develop advanced leadership and management capabilities that will help you become a better medical leader and accelerate your career.
Gain a greater understanding of the role that followers play in the co-construction of leadership identities.
Take control of your career by extending your portfolio and building a local and national profile.
- ST4 and above
- 12 month ‘in programme’ experience utilising protected special interest time
- Mentorship from senior medical leaders
- Local leadership and management experience
- National RCPsych leadership and management development programme
In addition to individual project supervision, Fellows should be supported and mentored throughout the scheme by a senior medical leader within their organisation. This is a key aspect of the scheme and is essential to the success of the Fellow’s role.
The mentoring role is anticipated to be held by the Medical Director, Deputy or Associate Medical Director who can ensure that they get access to the necessary meetings or contacts to support their work.
A minimum of six mentoring sessions should be held throughout the 12-month duration of the scheme.
It is also expected that Fellows will have opportunities to shadow at an executive level and with key external health and local authority partners to gain a deeper understanding of healthcare leadership and management within the wider social, political and economic context.
The RCPsych Leadership and Management Fellow Scheme Alumni Network support Action Learning Sets to provide ongoing support and development.
- designed specifically for psychiatric trainees
- expert and inspirational leaders from diverse backgrounds, regions and specialties
- experiential online workshops to raise self-awareness
- content shaped by Fellows reflecting their unique needs
- dedicated support to help them rethink and refocus their evolution as a leader
- develop a personalised portfolio of learning resources
- an ideal platform for future leadership roles
- supports Fellows to make an application for Associate Fellowship of FMLM
- in good standing with the GMC
- a member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- be appointed to an ST4 or above post with a National Training Number (and not be within 12 months of completion of training on the intended start date)
- be prepared to do the necessary pre session work and post session reflection to support an assessment of their progress
- have evidence of satisfactory progress in training
- have the support of their TPD