This one year scheme is open to UK medical students (not in/going into final year) with an interest and commitment to psychiatry seeking mentoring and financial support for activities intended to increase awareness and knowledge of psychiatry.Scheme participants will be supported financially, receive mentoring and in turn will be expected act as ambassadors for psychiatry.
Information Evening – Tuesday 21 February 2023 6.30-8.00pm
Location: online via Zoom
The college are hosting a free information evening for medical students (not in or going into their final year) who are interested in applying for the Psych Star Scheme 2023/24. The event will provide an opportunity to hear from Dr Declan Hyland, Associate Dean for Choose Psychiatry and Lead Clinician for the scheme. You will also hear from current and former Psych Stars who will share their experience of the scheme, provide tips for applying and explain how being on the scheme benefited them. There will be an opportunity to ask questions about the scheme and the application process.
Next application round
We will be accepting applications for the Psych Star Scheme 2023/24 from 9.00am Wednesday 22 February 2023.
If you have any questions related to the scheme please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of the scheme
Successful applicants will receive the following benefits over the course of one year:
- Welcome and Induction from the College
- Mentoring – you will be assigned a mentor to give you advice and support – so you can network with other Psych Stars and mentors.
- International Congress – you will be given free registration to attend International Congress of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. A contribution towards accommodation and travel will be given.
- A Certificate evidencing your time on the scheme
- CPD and travel fund – £500 to be spent on psychiatry-related activities of your choosing, such as conferences, courses and learning materials.
- CPD eLearning – You will be given free access to the Royal College of Psychiatrists' CPD eLearning modules. Over 200 modules and 160 podcasts to keep you up to date with new research and best practice in psychiatry.
- TrOn – Trainees Online is our online learning resource to support trainee psychiatrists prepare for MRCPsych exams.
- Journal Subscriptions – You will be
given free print copies of the Royal College of Psychiatrists' journals: BJPsych Bulletin and British Journal of Psychiatry.